Saturday, August 23, 2008

Do Opposites Really Attract?

As I was up Logan canyon this weekend camping with my in-laws, I couldn't help but look over at my sweet husband and think, "You owe me!" Anyone who knows me will tell you, I'm not a camper. I'm barely a sit in the park with a picnic kind of girl. And as I sat there, in the dirt and bugs, I wondered how my husband and I got along so well. We are complete opposites in so many facets of our lives, it's almost scary to list. He listens to hard rock, I listen to alternative/contemporary. I drive a small, fuel efficient Civic, he drives a large, much less fuel efficient F-150. Everything from what we like to do in our spare time (think crocheting vs Xbox) to where we want to live is very different. Sometimes, when I think about it too much, it starts to concern me. What if, with all of these differences, we grow apart. Then I think of the saying "opposites attract". Sure, they attract, but do they stay together? I go on to try to think of why we are happy together. Is it because we are attracted to each other and don't mind doing things separately? I don't think it's that simple, because we really enjoy spending time together. Being the type to over analyze, (thanks for the collective gasp), I've really put some time and thought into this subject. Do opposites truly attract? Well, sure, but I think it's deeper than that. Certainly we can seem almost ridiculously opposed in our likes and dislikes, but when it comes to core values and feelings, we are quite similar. Such as, we always put the other before anyone or anything else in our lives. There is no question between us that we are in this together. And, in being quite different from one another in some ways, we bring out the best in one another. For example, I've always been very independent, to the point of being reserved and aloof. My husband brought out in me utter trust that makes me feel so safe with him I let my guard down. And, as far as my husband goes, he was never really motivated before. But, wanting the best for the both of us in life, he generates that motivation in himself to improve. Realizing this makes me feel so much better about our superficial differences. Clearly, no relationship is perfect. But, my mother always said, you're not perfect, but you're perfect for one another. So, I think I can handle the music, and the Xbox. Cause I feel like the best person I can be when I'm with him.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, these keep getting better and better...this entry is so good!! Keep it up, you have me hooked!!

Samantha said...

I agree with Jen. I love your blogs. And you are so right with this one. Jerry and I have very little really in common, but its the good we bring out in each other that makes us "perfect together".