Friday, January 2, 2009

New Years Resolutions

It usually only takes me a week or two before I've broken my New Year's resolution, which tends to involve my weight in some way. I was resolved not to make any resolutions this year, but I changed my mind after thinking about it some more. The idea of the resolution isn't a bad one; deciding to make the new year better than the last. For me, resolutions always ended up being, well, a little one-dimensional. I mean, if I lost twenty pounds, sure I'd be happy. But I wouldn't really affect the things I think it would. Confused? What I mean is, even if I'm twenty pounds lighter, that wouldn't magically give me better grades, a better job, or a better life in general. So, this year I'm trying to make a resolution that will positively affect every aspect in my life in some way. This year, I'm just going to try to live a more inspired life. I want to find something that inspires me to be healthier, to try new things, to become more passionate. As my brother said, "life doesn't repeat itself." I keep thinking once I graduate, then I can start living. Or once I move out of this little town, then I can start living. But I want to find inspiration now. I don't want to be an observer of life, I want to live it. So here's to living inspired! What are your resolutions this year?

2 comments:

Samantha said...

You and I are so much alike, its scary! I came to that realization right before I met Jerry. I believe in New Years Resolutions too, but mine also take on a more inspirational meaning. I resolve to travel more, see the sights California has to offer, and save money! By the way, Jerry and I have started a new diet, of sorts, so we will try not to be a bad influence on you like we were last time! See you in THREE DAYS!

Anonymous said...

I just thought of my New Year's resolutions the other day, and realized they are almost the same every year...and not very exciting. Eat more vegetables (I know, I am vegetarian and I shouldn't need this one), be more physically active as a family (but don't break mom's neck doing it...hahaha), seek God more in my life...these are all things I should be doing anyway! I am not very good at this. I don't think I challenge myself because I like my comfort zone. But that's okay, my resolution can be to have a very calm year with no anxiety...now that would be a challenge!