Monday, September 29, 2008

Salt Lake City Farmers Market

I have lived in Utah for 22 years now. I've been going down to Salt Lake City for entertainment for the last five. And last Saturday, the 27th, I went to the Farmers Market for the first time. It's something I've wanted to check out for a little while, and I finally got the chance. I must say, I was impressed. Held at Pioneer Park, all sorts of local vendors set up booths and offer an array of fruits, vegetables and handmade goods. Going a little later in the year, I was worried that it might not be as big as even a month or two earlier in the year. But I was so very wrong. There were great heirloom tomatoes, squash off all sorts, herbs, melons, giant peaches. They even had fresh beef, seafood and cheeses, as well as a huge selection of baked goods. Being a carb-loving girl, I was truly in paradise. But beyond food there were plenty of hand-made crafts and goods ranging from soaps to yard ornaments to jewelry. I got there right at 8:00 am when they all open and it was already getting busy. It took me about an hour and a half to walk all the way around. And if there's one bit of advice I could offer to those interested in checking it out, it's this. Don't eat breakfast first! Not only are there a number of local and unique food venders (think falafels and tapas) as well as those fresh pastries, but there are free samples almost everywhere you turn. This is definitely near the top of my list of things I love about Salt Lake City!

2 comments:

Samantha said...

Yay! I am so excited that you are discovering all of these things to do in SLC! I can't wait to be able to do all of these things with you!

Anonymous said...

YUMMY!! Sounds like my kinda place! I've always wanted to try falafel...chickpeas are awesome!!