Thursday, October 23, 2008

Follow-up: My Bipolar Body Image

So, after hearing that basically everyone suffers from "Agh, is that me?!?" syndrome when they see themselves in pictures, I went back to look at some of mine and I decided it was the way I'm posed that makes me look 30 pounds heavier than I feel. So, I decided I'd check the Internet for tips on how to look good in pictures. Though I'm not sure they'd all work for impromptu pictures, if you get used to them, they could become second nature.

  • Always turn partially sideways with your weight on your back foot.
  • To minimize appearance of a double chin, pull head slightly forward and press your tongue to the roof of your mouth.
  • Watch your posture! Pull shoulders back, chest up, and there's no shame is sucking in, but only a little. You don't want it to look like you were sucking in.
  • Use items you're holding to camouflage areas on your body you're self conscious about. Like holding your purse in front of your stomach.
  • Hold arms just slightly away from your body to keep the upper arm from looking flabby. But don't look like you're about to fly away.
  • If you're planning a photo, opt for a monochromatic look. One color from head to toe is always slimming, even if it's not black, though darks are better at this than lights.
  • Invest in some Spanx. I don't think there's a woman out there that couldn't benefit from some Spanx!
  • Finally, to get a fresh, natural looking smile, look away from the camera, then turn towards it and smile just before it takes the shot. This is not easy, and takes some practice to master

I'm sure it would take some practice to master these. And if you're going to practice, do it behind closed doors so you don't look like a crazy person. Really, though, pictures aren't about looking back and thinking, "Mmmm, smokin'!" They're for memories. Remembering a great experience you had. So, I guess just stop stressing and smile. It's better than not having a picture at all.

Sources: http://beauty.about.com/od/hairstylephotogalleries/qt/photopose.htm

No comments: