Friday, April 3, 2009

I'm a little upset.

Here's why. Thanks to the economy and budget cuts to Utah's higher education, there have been some serious and heartbreaking changes to my department. They've made it so the journalism department is combining with the languages, philosophy and speech department. It will no longer be called a journalism department. On top of that, USU has been offering early retirement, and one of the best professors I have ever had is taking it. This is her last semester of teaching.
I've been assured over and over again that since I've already started in my major that they can't change anything on me. The classes that I need to graduate will still be available. But that's really only half the issue. The classes being available is important, of course, but so is the quality of instruction in those classes. I feel like I see the journalism department crumbling before my eyes. I know I've only been in this major for a year, but it has quickly felt like home to me, so to see it going through such changes is, well, heartbreaking. So, as I said, it's made me a little upset.

2 comments:

Candice said...

Ditto! What's the deal? I feel so bad and can't help but think that our favorite prof got pushed into that decision. It makes me worry about the teachers that we're going to have left. My favorite teachers have been in the JCOM department. :(
I think it's so lame that this is happening even AFTER that stupid tuition increase, especially when part of it is going to athletics. Good one, USU!

Ashley said...

hey. we are looking for fun and if we find something we like, we will move. yeah, I guess you can say we are getting pretty serious about it. I am sorry about your classes and teacher, that sucks!.